Sunday, August 8, 2010

Luna Moth


 This spectacular moth is the Luna Moth (Actias luna), they are a member of the Saturniidae family which are the giant silk moths. This one was captured last night at a mercury vapor light. I brought it in to photograph it. She laid eggs, that I will place near some walnut or hickory trees. I kept her to give to two little boys who are beginning their own insect collection. They had one BIG request...they wanted a Luna Moth. They will be very excited when I give them this moth. Many people wonder how I can kill something so pretty. I explain it to them this way.... Her lifespan is not meant to be any longer than a week. Within that week she will mate, lay eggs and perish. Often times she will become haggard and torn and be a mere shell of her former glory. If they have laid eggs to continue the next generation then I feel no guilt in preserving one of these beauties for other people to enjoy and appreciate. Last August I did a post about these beautiful moths after finding one in the Tennessee Smoky Mountains that had just emerged. Tenessee Luna Moth. I left this moth alone, as she had not had to opportunity to find a mate yet, and also because we were in a National Park....permission before collecting ALWAYS!

6 comments:

  1. I have seen them around the lights, and found a few dead ones in the woods.Nice speciman, I was surprised to learn of their short lives, I had heard only a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful. We have found only one this year, already dead. Kinda breaks my heart. Interesting information Shelly as always. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first one I have found this year. They are incredibly beautiful. One of my favorites for sure. It is terrible that they only live long enough to breed and lay eggs, something so gorgeous should have a much longer lifespan so we can enjoy them more.

    Thanks Rural for the kind comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these was perched on the brick frame of my sliding glass patio door at 11:30 this morning. I had no idea what it was, but I took a couple shots of it with my cellphone and then nudged it with a stick till it flew off. Beautiful, but it's "face" creeped me out. If I'd known she only had a couple days to live, I might have been more patient with her...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the wonderful information about the lovely Luna Moth. First time I've read that it's part of the family of silk moths. Never knew that! They are my favorite of all time. Hoping to see more... I've only seen a few in my entire life. But I feel lucky each time.

    "This spectacular moth is the Luna Moth (Actias luna), they are a member of the Saturniidae family which are the giant silk moths."

    I did not know they only live for a week! No wonder I've seen so few. I will have to investigate this almost "mythical creature" and find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seen one for the first time tonight. An amazing moth I must say. I found this moth to be more beautiful than most of the butterflies I have seen. :)

    ReplyDelete