Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Slug + Fungus=Feast


While out hiking the trail behind the office where I work I discovered several slugs munching on the mushrooms that had popped up on the mulched trail. Recent rains had created ideal mushroom growing conditions in the timber. This large gray slug is one of the most common slugs found in Missouri and they can reach lengths up 4 inches. Slugs feed on a wide variety of items, but seem to prefer fungus.


If you would like to learn more about slugs visit a past post of mine from  Tennessee


2 comments:

  1. In the pictures they both look rather icky. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slugs aren't everyone's cup-o-tea, but they do possess a certain amount of charm. I am fascinated by there lifecycles, and their food choices.I love watching them munch away on a mushroom like we munch on an apple.

    ReplyDelete