Thursday, December 10, 2009

Plant-Hoppers



This little plant hopper is in the genus Acanalonia. They are common throughout Missouri as well as most of the United States. Look for them in grassy areas or gardens where they blend in well with leaves and grasses.  Most leaf hoppers feed on plant juices. Their common name of plant hopper comes from their ability to hop great distances (for their size) when disturbed.




This little hopper is a nymph, and I am unsure exactly which species it will be when it finally reaches adult size, but I suspect it will be this one:



Don't you just love the horns on this fellow? Maybe he should be called the Devil Leaf-Hopper. It seems leaf hoppers, or plant hoppers come in all sizes, colors and variations.




This little striped hopper is the Red-Banded Leaf Hopper, but I much prefer it's other common name of Candy-Striped Leaf Hopper. I've previously posted about them here: Red-Banded Leaf Hopper.










Here is another unique color form, this little guy (gal) was a delicious shade of blueberry, with darker stripes.
Seems there is no end to the diversity. If you can imagine it, you will find it.


4 comments:

  1. They are tiny, but beautiful creatures. You are right there is no end of diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know the name of that Candy-striped Leaf Hopper :) I've spent this summer gardening 100% organically for the first time, and have become fascinated with the insects all around! I may send you an e-mail with a specific request, which I tried to identify by myself, but I might have got it wrong...

    Wonderful site! This is my first visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Meredith, I am always excited to see new people. I'm glad you were able to ID the candy-striped leaf hopper. They are so "cute". Anytime you need extra help identifying some odd little bug feel free send me an email with a picture. I will do my best to figure it out for you, and if I can't I know people who probably can. (MOpiggys@aol.com)
    Thanks for your kind comments and I look forward to hearing from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birdy--you are so right. Tiny but beautiful is a very apt description of these little insects. Glad you stopped by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete