Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Broad-Headed Bug



There are approximately 29 species of Broad-Headed Bugs in the North America. They are true bugs in the order Hemiptera, and family Alydidae. The one pictured here I believe to be Alydus eurinus, which is a common species in the Eastern portion of the United States. 



They have a dark elongated body approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long, with  segmented antennae. Their heads are very broad, usually as wide as their thorax. It is this bodily feature that earned them their common name.The nymphs look very much likes ants. They can be found in fields, in backyard gardens, near forest edges. The adults feed on plant juices, and sometimes carrion. This one was found clinging to the side of our potting shed warming itself in the sun.

2 comments:

  1. Much to my embarrassment I have mis-identified Broad-headed bug nymphs as ants. The are amazing mimics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother Nature is grand. I wouldn't feel to embarrassed though, I am constantly reminded of how little I know when it comes to bugs. I am fooled regularly, I guess that's how we learn.

    ReplyDelete