Saturday, July 3, 2010

Eastern Pondhawk


This beautiful powdery blue dragonfly is the Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis). They commonly go by the names Common Pondhawk and Green Jacket which is an apt name given their normal Green coloration. They are an averaged sized dragonfly with a wingspan of approximately 3 inches. Easily one of the most common dragonflies in Missouri and are often seen near small ponds and lakes. They will also be found in meadows, open fields and other areas away from bodies of water looking for insect prey.


3 comments:

  1. Sharp photos , I see them a lot, but think many think they are seeing 2 different kinds when viewing a male and female.You may enjoy my skunk story in my last blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you prairie. I initially thought the first photo was a Blue Dasher. Bugguide set me straight. I have never seen the blue version of this species. Incredible color variation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. Thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete