Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Flat-Faced Longhorn


This oddly, yet beautifully, marked beetle is a Flat-Faced Beetle in the family Cerambycidae. After submitting this image to Dr. Art Evans and Ted MacRae they were both able to identify it is Saperda imitans. There is no common name for it other than "Flat-Faced Longhorn". They are very uncommon in Missouri and are associated with hardwood timbered areas. Their range includes all of Eastern North America.


I found this one at a mercury vapor light I had set out. I had no idea what it was, only that it was something I had never seen before. Imagine my excitement to  learn that it was an uncommon beetle. I felt very  lucky to have found it.

Their elytra are dark gray with a reddish colored stripe running along the margin. This stripe extends into the sides of pronotum and the head. The underside is brownish-white and legs are gray. They are about 3/4 of an inch long.

The grubs feed on decaying hardwood trees like Hickory and Willow. Therefore they are not known to cause any significant damage to trees. Just when I think I couldn't possibly find anything new around our farm, I am surprised by things like this beetle. It just goes to show you never know what you will find, or where you will find it.

8 comments:

  1. Such an appealing and stylish creature! congrats on a new find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beauty isn't it? Thanks, I was excited. It is always a rush to find something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its markings almost make you mix the front and back if you were a predator.Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even think about that, but it does look similar front and back doesn't it? Maybe that is on purpose? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. another beautiful creature! Out on the Prairie is correct.. hard to tell whether it's coming or going, at first glance... how exciting to find a new insect at your place ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it really was exciting to find out it was something new to me and rare to boot. I keep looking for another one and have not seen one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, every time I find something that looks incredibly exotic, I find out that its name usually starts with the word "common." Your little bug is definitely a pretty one, even for an "uncommon" insect for this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see them on my squash and cucumbers about the time grasshoppers start damaging my garden. They get sprayed at the same time

    ReplyDelete