Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring Warmth Brings Visitors




Yesterday the temperature reached 62 degrees. It was sunny and only a slight wind blowing. It was a beautiful day and it was the first day of the year that brought with it a good diversity of insects. I have a bush North of my house that is covered in little blooms that smell like perfume. I have no idea of the species of shrub that it is, but the insects loved it. The bush sounded alive with all the buzzing of little wings. , The 1st image is a Fly, The 2nd image is a Hover Fly, The 3rd image is a Sawfly.The 4th image is a Multi-Colored Lady Beetle, The 5th image is a Honey Bee, And the last two images are of black ants guarding their eggs and a soil centipede. I found them under rocks nearby the bush. I am so glad that spring is finally arriving after such a long cold dreary winter.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! I love the one of the ants and the larvae. I might have to see if I can't find some of those around my yard this weekend! Too bad it is still low 50s around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the compliments. I love it when the weather warms up and brings about all the insect activity. It is supposed to be close to 60 and sunny today, and tomorrow is supposed to be nice as well. Sunday is a different story, Easter is looking cold and wet again. UGH!

    ReplyDelete