Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ice Skating Crawdad


My friend Cindy and I decided to take a drive and look for things to take pictures of. While slowly driving along a narrow roadway, she looked at me and said "Don't think I'm crazy, but I'm pretty sure there is a crawdad crawling on the ice back there" I backed up the car and we got out to investigate. Sure enough there was a very large crawdad, moving very slowly along the top of the ice in a narrow frozen channel of water. We grabbed a long stick and climbed down the bank and used the stick to move the crawdad towards us. It was at this time we noticed something under her tail. At first we thought it was parasites, then we realized it was her babies. Why was this crawdad on top of the ice? Did our unseasonably warm temperatures of the past few days confuse her and wake her up? We knew she would not survive the impending cold temperatures predicted for the night. I made the decision to bring her home and try to keep her alive until spring when I can release her.


I had no idea that crawdads carried their babies in this manner, and was thrilled to learn something new. The picture, above, shows part of the "baby ball" still attached to her tail. As soon as I placed the crawdad in the water of a 5 gallon tank, the babies immediately let go and began swimming around. The female seemed relieved to be warmer and off the icy mess she had gotten herself into.


There are approximately 200 baby crawdads swimming around with their mother. My husband said he had one as a pet when he was a young boy. He named it "big daddy" and he fed it oatmeal. It lived for 2 years. I placed a few flakes of dry oatmeal in there with her, but so far she doesn't seem interested. Perhaps her metabolism is still telling her it is winter and she just doesn't have the urge to eat yet.


The babies are very tiny. This one is pictured on the top of my thumb and measures less than 3/8 of an inch. Truly mini replicas of their mother, right down to the fan tail and the buggy eyes. I am so glad Cindy noticed this crawdad on top the ice. This was a wonderful opportunity for us to witness a great moment in the life of this crawdad. I am equally glad that were able to get her off the ice and somewhere warmer before the night time temperatures caught her off guard and she succumbed to below freezing weather.

13 comments:

  1. Dang. I have a lunch appt I have to get to in the next ten minutes otherwise I'd have time to leave more of a comment than just..."Wow!" But that pretty much sums it up. That is pretty darn cool, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Maria. That was pretty much our reaction too. Mother Nature is truly incredible and to be able to witness first had these exciting moments in time is incredible and I never get tired of exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating Shelly! Lucky Mama she is that you and your friend spied her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. I had no idea they carried their babies like that either. I hope they all make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rural to say Cindy and I were shocked to see this crawdad in the predicament she was in is an understatement. She could barely move because of the cold temperatures. You could literally count to 30 between each foot fall. There is no ways she could have gotten to the bank, dug a hole and gotten herself inside before succumbing to 30 degree temps. predicted for that night. I really hope she makes it, she has been fun to watch. The babies are adorable. I will most likely turn them loose in our creek in March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denine---I thought it cool too. I sure learned something new. I hope they make it too, so far they seem fine. I've been putting oatmeal in there and the water breaks it down turning into a form of organic matter and I see the babies moving along the bottom and it looks like they are feeding on it. I have not seen the mom feed yet, but she might be feeding at night. She was trying to climb out of the container Friday night, she was making so much racket with those claws on the plastic of the container it woke me up. Thankfully there is a lid on the cage, or I might end up with an AWOL crawdad in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. What a story. Here's what wiki said re: keeping them as pets:

    Crayfish are kept as pets in freshwater aquariums. They prefer foods like shrimp pellets or various vegetables, but will also eat tropical fish food, regular fish food, algae wafers, and even small fish that can be captured by their claws, such as goldfish or minnows. Their disposition towards eating almost anything will also cause them to consume most aquarium plants in a fish tank.

    When keeping a crayfish as a pet, it is suggested they are provided with a hiding space.

    Looking forward to updates on the whole family! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thanks Bio for the info. I will provide some of those suggested foods. I have one rock in the tank and the babies seem to be using it. I need to rig something up that is a big enough hideout for mom though. Last night I checked on her and all the babies were back under her tail in a little ball. She must have some way of communicating with her offspring to call them back to her, which I find fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible find! Your macro shots of all the babies are priceless. Your friend must have a very good eye to have spotted her crawling across the ice... please do post about their release in March :) Have you scrounged anything up for them to hide out in yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was shocked that Cindy saw this critter while we were driving. I hope to learn a lot more about her and her babies before I release them. I plan to post more later. I've been in KC all week so I haven't had a chance to locate anything for her to hide under, but I plan to work on it when I get home tomorrow, as I am sure she will be happier with a hidey hole

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, so cool! I hope you continue to post pics as the family grows up! I knew crawdads and their kin invested in this kind of family care, but have never seen it 'till now. Awesome pics! I may have to borrow some next year for my zoology lab (if you're ok with that?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Geek. I hope to keep her awhile and watch their progress. I bought some krill and goldfish food today to feed them and I got her a nifty little hideout.
    You are welcome to use any of my photos in your projects, you don't even have to ask I am happy to have u do so :o)

    ReplyDelete