Monday, August 17, 2009

Bug Hunting attracts Police

Last Thursday while we were in Townsend, TN I wasn't having much luck finding insects around the cabin where we were staying, so I asked my husband if he would drive me to the main street in town and look by the businesses with lights. He said he would, so we headed that way. The first likely looking place was a car wash, it had a lot of bright lights around it, we turned into the drive and a police car pulled in behind us. So I told Joey to pretend we were going to vacuum out the van. As soon as we pulled up next to the vacuums the police car did a u-turn and left. We found several really nice insects at the lights, including HUGE Eastern Sawyer Longhorn Beetles, one Eastern Dobsonfly, and an Io Moth. I was so excited I told him we needed to go to another location. We drove down the road to a place called the Heritage Center, we no more and pulled up and shut the van off when a pickup complete with flashing red and blue lights pulled in behind us. I just looked at Joey and smiled. I walked back to the officer, he was on his radio talking to dispatch about our van. When he was done talking he just looked at me and said "Is everything alright?" I just smiled and said "yes sir, everything is fine". I said "I'll tell you why we are here if you promise not to laugh". He said "ok". So I explained that I was bug hunting. He gave me the strangest look, and I certainly can't imagine why. He replied by telling me we weren't breaking any laws. LOL imagine my relief. He left, and I looked over to Joey who was trying real hard to find a rock big enough to hide under....LOL He just said "That was embarrassing". I found the whole thing very humorous.
We returned home Saturday evening from our vacation, and last night was a balmy evening with storms brewing in the area and I thought it would be a good night to hunt bugs. Joey said he would come outside with me and hold the flashlight, he emerged from the house in his Tighty-whitey's and work boots. Boy was he attractive...what a turn-on...or off!
It was so funny though, I teased him and asked him what he would do if someone pulled in the driveway? He laughed and said no one better. We looked around outside for about 20 minutes, and he was ready to go back inside. So I told him I would be in after a bit that I wanted to check one more spot near the highway. He went inside, and I was shining my flashlight around in the trees, when a car pulled in the driveway, and a man got out. Next thing I know I had a spotlight beaming off my eyeballs blinding me. I knew it was a deputy. I hear him say "Oh, it's you" I was thinking Well who else did you expect. I just smiled and he asked me what I was doing, I replied by telling him I was bug hunting and taking pictures. He got the strangest look on his face, I'm sure he thought I was certifiable! He said he got concerned when he saw lights flashing off the trees at 10:30 at night. Fortunately I knew him, he went to school with Joey and was very helpful to us when our son had a bad wreck last October. So...I told him he should have pulled in 5 minutes sooner and he would have seen Joey in his skivvies and hiking boots. He replied "That's what is nice about living in the country" We laughed a little and he left. I couldn't wait to get in the house and tell Joey and our son Joel. I retold the whole story including telling the deputy about Joey's outfit of choice. Joel started laughing as the mental image hit him of his dad outside in nothing but underwear and hiking boots and that deputy shining his spotlight on him. Then it started me to laughing, and I laughed until my sides hurt. Oh how I wish he would have gotten caught with his pants down! So I've come to the conclusion that hunting bugs may end up getting me arrested, and Joey charged with indecent exposure!

5 comments:

  1. Shelly, this is hysterical. I have yet to attract any cops while hunting bugs. I'm going to have to wear something odd and go out in the middle of the night to see if I can attract some attention from our local force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe. Joey swears I'm few bricks shy of a load. I tease him and tell him if he didn't have me to make him laugh who would have laugh at. This time though I got the last laugh.I could not get that image out of my head all night. Even while laying in bed I just started laughing out loud.
    I remember one night a couple of years ago I woke up around 2:00 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. I got up, and decided it would be a good time to hunt for moths. I went outside in my nightie carrying a flashlight and butterfly net. I guess the flashlight beam was bouncing off the bedroom wall and woke Joey, he got up and to see what was going on and discovered me outside. I distinctly remember looking over at the backdoor and him standing there in his boxers with his hands on his hips mouthing the words "What the hell are you doing" I cracked up laughing and told him I was bug hunting. It made sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normal people just don't have as much fun as those of us who are a little ... ah ... different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Marvin, I would have to agree whole-heartedly. My license plate even says "quarky". I tell everyone I am a bit unstable, and prone to moments of complete craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting , good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog
    Hunting Flashlight
    Night Vision Goggle
    Outdoor Hunting
    Hunting Scope
    green laser

    ReplyDelete