Monday, February 27, 2012

Tree Stink Bugs

Yesterday the temperatures were in the low sixties which is absolutely gorgeous, if a bit unusual for Northwest Missouri in February. I spent about an hour outside enjoying the warmer weather and looking for any insects that were active. My honey bees were busy gathering Maple Tree pollen as they flew in and out of their hive. I found some ants hiding away under the bark of our elm tree. Then I came across these stink bugs under the bark of our maple tree. They were snuggled up as if trying to keep each other warm. I wasn't sure of the species so I sent this image into bugguide.net and within minutes I had a positive ID to genus. These guys are Rough Stink Bugs or Tree Stink Bugs as they are also referred to as. They are in the genus Brochymena.


These are relatively large stink bugs that measure up to 20 mm, or nearly one inch. The two pictured here were easily 3/4 of an inch in length. They have a very bark-like appearance giving them great camouflage among the trees that they frequently hang out on. They are common throughout North America in habitats that have trees. Look for them in orchards, forests and nearby areas.

There are numerous species within this genus and I've read accounts that claim some are plant feeders and will suck the juices out of various garden plants like okra, peas, cabbage, corn, squash, and tomatoes. Others feed on orchard trees like peaches and citrus. Many will also feed on alfalfa, cotton, soybeans, and other forage crops. Some species within this genus are beneficial because they feed on harmful caterpillars, beetles and soft bodied insects. One article stated that by looking at the "shoulders" of the bug you can determine if these stink bugs are plant feeders or insect feeders. Plant feeders have rounded shoulders, whereas insect feeders have pointed shoulders. The ones pictured here definitely have pointed shoulders.

The adults overwinter under the bark of trees or in leaf litter. In the spring the female will lay clusters of eggs on the leaves of various trees. It will take the nymphs most of the summer to reach adult size. Then they will in turn over winter and emerge the following spring to lay eggs and carry on their kind.

7 comments:

  1. These are native species? In the northeastern US there is a lot of talk/concern about exotic stink bugs showing up in houses en masse. My understanding, though, is that they are harmless (unless you eat too many of them).

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, good to hear from you. How was your trip to Costa Rica? These stinks are native as far as I know. The stink bug you are referring to in the Northeast is the Marmorated Stink bug and it is wrecking havoc on homeowners as well as farmers and gardeners. The bugs show up in huge numbers in the fall and congregate near homes, sometimes by the 1,000's. They stink horribly and are hard to get rid of. During the warm season they eat vast amounts of plants and can destroy crops if they occur in heavy enough numbers. So far they have not made it into Missouri, but that could change soon. We are told to report any sightings. I guess control is very difficult with this species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see a few spring reminders, such as this neat bug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Steve, I am SOOOO anxious for warmer weather and spring blossoms and bugs and reptiles and frogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, they are actually not native to America. They're native to mainland China. Or at least a species of them are native to mainland China. While living there, I came across one and it looked so peculiar that I researched it. I am originally from New York City and have traveled to upstate NY but don't recall ever seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea where they are from, as very little info seems to be avialable for them. I made sure to not list them as native, only as common in the United States and they certainly are that. I am not sure how far north their range extends, it could be they can't survive that far north. I've seen other species in this genus around here, but this is the first time I've seen any that looked like these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, This is Maliha from Pakistan. My daughter and i were enjoying walking around our neighborhood in Karachi when we spotted these bugs. I didn't know what they were called and googled. That's how we found your blog, and read a few other posts as well. A family of these stink bugs have taken over a neighbors tree :) Thanks for identifying them for us!

    ReplyDelete