Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jumpin Momma


Jumping spiders in the family Salticidae are very common spiders found throughout North America. In fact with over 4,400 known species Worldwide they are the largest group of spiders. Many of us are familiar with the furry black spiders that appear in our homes and crawl across our ceilings. These uninvited guests cause quite a stir among arachna-phobes. They can be intimidating with their habit of moving quickly and often times jumping at their prey or even you! One day while out exploring the gardens I came across a web of sorts attached to the leaf of a milkweed. I had no idea what was in it, but I could see movement. Being the ever curious person I am, I just had to figure this out.I gently peeled apart the very end of the web, and imagine my surprise when these large adorable eyes peeked back at me. I did not realize these spiders created a web like this and I just had to know what she was hiding.




As you can see by this picture she was protecting eggs.Once I realized what she was doing (being a good momma) I felt bad for disturbing her and exposing her eggs. I felt so thick-headed for not figuring out that she was guarding eggs. After all it was obvious that is what she HAD to be doing. Sometimes I am so dense. 
While I see these spiders all the time,  I've yet to witness this behavior before this occasion. Of all the spiders found around our farm these and crab spiders are my favorites. They almost seem to possess a personality. Not to mention they are crazy cute.


10 comments:

  1. Love, love, love jumping spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me too Swampy. They are so endearing, and THOSE eyes! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love jumping spiders!!!!! One crawled over to see what I was doing when I was making Thanksgiving dinner (!!!!!) and I just let him/her watch the whole food preparing thing from the edge of a cutting board I was not using. I know that's a little weird but I really do love jumping spiders. Anyway, after a while she/he crawled back to the greenhouse window and that is probably where she/he is right now.

    Their faces are so darn cute! Love them. You sure do find bugs in unusual situations. For some reason I never thought that these guys might actually build webs. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Maria too, I think they are so adorable (if spiders can be adorable that is..LOL) I loved your story of the spider who visited you while you cooked. How very endearing, perhaps she was taking note? If the insect hunting becomes sparse, she may have to start cooking.....I was shocked to discover her in that web myself. I expected a caterpillar of some sort, certainly not a spider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite possibly our favorite spiders, and your photo of the mother in her web is adorable! It's amazing to think that all those tiny eggs will open, and that tiny jumpers will crawl forth, ready to grow up and become powerful hunters. You're getting us excited for spring with photos of spiders and milkweed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kenton & Rebecca, it is always a pleasure to hear from you both. I have to agree she is very adorable, peeking out of her little hide-a-way. I never get tired of seeing these incredible spiders. They really have amazing eyesight, and seem to actually watch you as you move. Those eyes are what gets me.....so expressive and cartoon-like. I too cannot wait for spring and summer to arrive and bring with it the warmth I so desperately need right now, and all those wonderful insects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those eyes just get to me. Do you think she was able to save her eggs?

    I hate it when they jump, but I admit there is something attractive to their faces somehow. I have a teeny one now in the shadow of my kitchen window that is the great-grandchild of a little jumper I allowed to stay on last year, on impulse.

    It's a slightly hidden spot underneath a cabinet, and we have trouble in there with insects as there's no screen on the kitchen window, but I love to leave it wide open to look at the kitchen garden right outside.

    The web she builds is kind of frothy like a cloud, more like a nest I guess, and at the end of each cycle she builds a bigger, more opaque version, about the size of a teaspoon. Then all goes quiet and eventually she dies and I clean up her body and the little nest, which by then appears flat and empty. A few weeks later, I'll notice I have another new mama moved in.

    I never notice the babies leave, and I never see the new girl deciding to stay. It just seems to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet little story of the spider who lives in your cabinet. Great insect control, and they are such cute little guests to have around. I love the description of the nursery web of this spider as being a frothy little cloud, that is a very accurate description. We get the furry black jumping spiders in our house all the time. I find them in very interesting places. Ceilings, bathtubs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots! Never seen the eggs before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Marvin, I'd never seen the eggs before this occasion either, it was a lucky find.

    ReplyDelete