Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Paper Wasp


I've featured paper wasps before, but I had to share these pictures of this unfortunate individual. We've had unseasonably cool weather for weeks now. After a few light frosts I think these little guys are paying the ultimate price. Soon they will all perish with exception to a few hardy bred queens that will overwinter hidden away somewhere.


I found her clinging to an evergreen tree and moved her to this flower for some photographs. I was able to coax her onto my hand, and she stumbled around like she'd been on a drinking binge. I know there are several species of paper wasp, each building unique papery nests. I do not know the identity of this particular species. I love her lovely green eyes, which may be a key characteristic in ID'ing her. If anyone can tell by these photos what species she is please let me know.

8 comments:

  1. Um, this is a male paper wasp, so he won't be overwintering. Great images and story, though! Keep up the great work. I don't say that enough to you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I had a feeling you would grab this one. Thanks Eric. I had no idea if it was a male or a female, just liked thinking she was a girl. The way this one acted should have an indicator that he was about ready to meet the end. Thank u so much for your help and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice detailed shots.

    Seems like I get stung by wasp more during this time of year. Groggy wasps get hung up in line-dried clothes or are stumbling around on surfaces where I put my hand -- though since this is a male I guess it has no stinger?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marvin. I've had my share of "accidental" stings from these wasps as well. One of the more memorable occasions was grabbing the back of a chair and getting stung right on the second knuckle of my middle finger. It swelled and hurt for several days! You are correct in your summation that since this is a male it has no stinger....no fear of a sting with this fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Fotosppf for your kind words. Glad u enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete